All of us have them. They are all around us if we could only perceive them. Often confused with angels, they are souls who walk amongst us who are here to help, offer guidance, comfort, and yes – even advice. Just what are these spirits and where do they come from? They are what are known as Spirit Guides and they come from the Realm of Spirit, or the Other Side.
A Spirit Guide, unlike an Angel, was once a human being, like you and I. They lived their life, performed their tasks, died, and crossed over to the Other Side. Some choose to come back, to reincarnate in a new life, in a new place. Others, however, make the choice to remain in Spirit so they can learn and spiritually advance while helping others still living to learn their life’s lessons. This is a Spirit Guide.
Spirit Guides, as former human beings, are well aware of the problems we face in our everyday, mundane lives. They were once concerned with very similar matters. They tend to have their own special areas of expertise, often based on past personal experiences or careers they have had in a past life.
Your Spirit Guide, unlike your Guardian Angel, comes & goes in your life. A Guardian Angel is with you from birth until death. A Spirit Guide, on the other hand, comes into your life when an issue arises that falls under a guide’s field of expertise. So, Spirit Guides often come and go, changing as the situations in your life change, and as you change and grow, you attract new guides to you.
Your Spirit Guide is always there to help you. This is their sole purpose, to offer the living their help and guidance. However, as spirits, they operate on a higher vibrational frequency than mortals do, so the majority of us cannot see them, cannot hear them, and cannot sense their presence.
Do’s and Don’t’s of Spirit Guide Contact –
- DON’T expect any famous historical personages, dead rock stars, or religious icons to put in an appearance.
All of these cases have been known to happen, but in the first two instances this is usually our ego wishing for contact with such a person like Cleopatra, Michelangelo, John Lennon, Marilyn Monroe, etc … And religious figures; such as, Christ, the Virgin Mary, Buddha, Krishna, and others, can be Guides, but usually this will not be the very first Spirit Guide to make their presence known to you.
- DO a simple protection ritual before you begin. This is of vital importance in order to keep spirits of lower vibrational frequencies away from you during your session. Such spirits are often lost on the Earth plane unaware that they are dead, or they could even be demonic in nature. A simple protection ritual will safeguard you against any undesirable spirit encounters.
- DON’T have any preconceived notions of who or what your Spirit Guide may be. This could lead to a great big disappointment. A client of mine took my Spirit Guide class convinced her guide would be some person of renown from ancient Greece, since that is where her interests lay. Instead, she got a talking beaver!!! Imagine her surprise! However, the beaver had many important things to say and still offers his guidance to her to this day. This is a case of a Totem Animal, which is an Animal Spirit who acts as a Spirit Guide.
- DO always prepare for the unexpected. Turn the ringer off on the phone, put the volume of the answering machine on zero, lock the door, if others are in the house ask them to please not disturb you for any reason – unless the house is burning down, of course. Make sure you are seated in a comfortable position and that you have pen or pencil and paper handy to write down any impressions or messages you may receive.
- DON’T share what you are doing with others who are not of like mind. Ridicule and disbelief will undermine your attempts by introducing negative energy into an otherwise very positive and uplifting experience.
- DO keep a special book set aside to be used as a journal in which you note all of your spiritual encounters. This journal will prove to be an invaluable source of information to you over the coming weeks, months, even years.
- DON’T expect your Spirit Guide to be able to foretell the future by asking him or her, “when will I win the lottery?” Spirit Guides do not foretell the future unless that was part of their personal expertise while alive. They also will not know what the winning lotto numbers for the upcoming lotto drawing will be. Believe me, I’ve tried this more than once!!
- DO believe you will make contact. For some, contact occurs with the very first session, for others, it can take weeks, but persistence always pays off, so just stick to it and your Spirit Guide will make him or herself known to you.
Your Spirit Guides and Angels will never let you down as you build a rapport with them. In the end, they may be the only ones who don’t let you down.